What is a Whole Food Plant Based Diet?
Why eat a whole food plant based diet?
This WFPB diet has many benefits such as weight loss (getting you to a healthy weight), lower your cholesterol, lower your blood pressure, and lower blood sugar. It can prevent and reverse heart disease, hypertension and diabetes. It might even help with cancer and it helps joint pain and IBS. The solution is literally at the end of your fork.
What can you eat on a whole food plant based diet?
1. Non-starchy vegetables: Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, lettuce, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, zucchini just to mention a few.
2. Starchy vegetables: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, butternut squash.
3. Fruit: Apples, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, mango, oranges, kiwi, papaya, pineapple and so many more.
4. Legumes: Beans (black, kidney, northern, garbanzo/chickpea, pinto, cannellini, lima, lava, navy, mung, soy, edamame and cranberry beans) and lentils and peas.
5. Whole Grains: Brown, red, white, black and wild rice, amaranth, barley, buckwheat, farro, bulgur, oats, millet, rye, sorghum, freekeh, kamut, spelt, quinoa, teff, you get the idea.
There’s so many more in each category.
The ideal plate would be a 1/4 legumes 1/4 whole grains or starchy vegetables and 1/2 non starchy vegetables and some fruit for dessert.
Where to Start.
Next find the plant based expert who is specialized in your disease. For instance, Dr Esselstyn for heart disease. Buy their book. For general all-round diseases there is “How Not To Die” by Dr Greger. And then buy an all-round general WFPB book like Dr McDougall’s “The Starch Solution”. Watch Forks Over Knives and Eating You Alive.
Start eating towards good health. Clean out your cupboards and buy your vegetables. Learn to cook with plants here at plantbasedworks.com. Start to move even if it is only a little. Like taking the stairs or walking around the block. Be kind to yourself. Keep at it. It took me a few rounds to get proficient, hence this website to help you avoid a couple of the pitfalls I have already explored.